I’m not sure that I like that moniker. In fact I’m rather sensitive to anything with the word ‘old’ in it these days but as both Iota and Nappy Valley Girl have both given me the same award (possibly because I was the only one left who hadn’t done this yet?) I shall have to accept my senior status gracefully and try to pretend that the fact that I’ve been blogging since 2008 does not in any way mean that I am seven years wrinklier than I was when I started. I am actually extremely, very good at denial. It’s one of my superpowers.
In exchange for this badge here:
There might not be anything left to tell at this stage but I’ll have a go, and you can stop reading any time you get bored. The great advantage of a blog is that I’ll never know, particularly as I’ve forgotten how to check my stats if I ever knew in the first place.
- I used to be a pop star. I spent all of my teens and a good part of my twenties desperately trying to ‘make it’ and become famous, only to discover (once I achieved my proverbial 15 mins) that I absolutely hated being the centre of attention and I’m actually an introvert. Wuh woh!
- I have been writing a novel for the last three years. I thought it was going to take 1/3 of that time and I’m still not sure when I’ll be finished. Part of the book has a graphic novel element to it – an idea I dreamed up at the novel’s inception – and I’ve just decided recently to create the images myself which will probably extend the deadline by about a decade due to the small obstacle of my not actually being able to, you know, draw. Wuh woh wugain!
- I teach music to primary school children two days per week. I never, ever dreamed I would do this job but to my astonishment a) someone hired me and b)I absolutely love it. I sometimes worry that I am overly strict with my pupils – some bizarre channeling of 1940’s British schoolmarms going on here (no idea where that comes from, I went to an inner city comprehensive) but they seem to like me anyway. It’s often quite hard to get the littler ones out the room when class finishes because they all want to hug me! Bless!!
- I am cooking ‘beer can chicken’ right now on the bbq because it is 95 degrees fahrenheit here in California on the eleventh of October. I can’t really tell you what it tastes like because I’ve never done it before but who could resist the novelty of sticking a can up the arse of a chicken and leaving it to its own devices and calling it supper?
- My cat, Tabasco, is a serial killer
- My daughter is crazily tall for her age and also stunningly beautiful. She looks more like a teenage supermodel than the recently-turned eleven year old goofball that she actually is. I worry a lot about how boys and men react to her. So when she refuses to brush her hair and picks her nose in public, I feel actively grateful.
- I love gaffa tape. It holds the universe together.
I’m supposed to nominate a few people now for this award, but who on earth would not have had it already? I don’t know!!
Perhaps number 8 of mine should be to admit I have no memory left?